Top 10 Beauty Fixes You'll Find in Your Kitchen for the Holiday Season
Beauty fixes need not be complicated. In fact many of the ingredients in your fridge and pantry can be put to good use to enhance that inner and outer goddess glow. Here are 10 of our favourite DIY methods that every woman should be armed with this party season...
1) Under eye circles – Although cucumbers are very soothing, when it comes to curing under eye circles, potatoes are your veggie. Catecholase, an enzyme which is found in potatoes is used in high-end skin care and make-up products to lighten and diminish dark eye circles. Place about ¼ cup of refrigerated grated potatoes inside cheese cloths or stockings and apply as a compress over your eyes for 15 to 20 minutes. Using cold potatoes acts to simultaneously constrict blood vessels and reduce puffiness, and brighten the dark circles.
Product solution: & Gold Rush Eye Balm
2) Facial redness – To eliminate facial redness, mix a cup of oatmeal with a tablespoon of honey. Apply to your face as a mask. Leave for 15 minutes, rinse with cool water and voila, you will have happy and calm skin.
Product solution: & Soothing Nectar Hydrating Gel
3) Self tanner application gone wrong – Mix sugar and salt together with a splash of olive oil. Scrub all over to exfoliate the skin and correct mishap tan application!
4) Trouble spots – As an overnight spot treatment, mix baking soda and water into a paste. Apply onto your trouble acne spots. The baking soda is antiseptic and will work to de-clog the spot, kill bacteria and dry out the blemish.
Product solution: Turmeric Latte Booster
5) Callous hands and feet – If your hands and feet need a soft loving touch, this is just the quick fix for you. Generously lather coconut oil onto your hands and feet before hopping into bed. Wear socks or gloves to bed and wake to silky smooth “baby bum” hands and feet.
Product solution: Precious Sea Hand Saviour
6) Flat hair – Is your hair is needing a bit of a volume boost? Dissolve a tablespoon of sea salt in 250ml warm water and pour into a spray bottle. Spritz onto dry hair and then shake through using your fingers. The result is sultry, textured, summery beach hair.
7) Fine lines – The sign of a few undesirable lines before a special event is enough to prompt panic in any female. An effective quick fix is to replenish your skin's hydration levels to help plump the skin. Mashing omega-rich avocado and applying to your face as a mask will help to provide nourishment and smooth the appearance of fine lines. Think of it as guacamole for your complexion!
Product solution: Bloom of Youth Anti-Ageing Sheet Mask
8) Out of cleanser – If you have run out of your cleanser or have a heavy make-up load to remove, do not despair. Melt a tablespoon of coconut oil and use a cotton pad to apply the oil onto your face. Do this two times to ensure all the residue is removed. Coconut oil not only makes a wonderful moisturiser, it is also an excellent cleanser due to its antimicrobial properties making it the perfect 2-in-1 cleanser and moisturiser.
9) Red and puffy eyes – Giving your eyes a pick me up is as easy as a providing them with caffeine hit. Dip cotton pads in iced black coffee and apply over closed lids for 10 minutes. Caffeine acts to constrict blood vessels to diminish discolouration and reduce puffiness. Cold caffeine will also work to reduce under eye darkness.
Product solution: & Gold Rush Eye Cream
10) Dull, dry hair – Give your hair a wonderful pick me up with a beautiful nourishing mask. The humble avocado comes in handy again here! Simply ½ an avocado with a tablespoon or two of olive oil and apply onto your hair from the roots to ends. Leave for twenty minutes and wash as normal. Olive oil and avocado are both rich in omegas and vitamin E so will leave you with high-sheen locks.