Roasted Sweet Potato & Turmeric Beauty Soup
If you love the spicy and fresh flavours of turmeric, ginger and lemongrass you will love this nourishing and beauty-boosting sweet potato and coconut soup. This is one of my favourite soups not only for the delicate and warming flavours, but also for the nutritional benefits of its superstar ingredients.
- Sweet Potato: Sweet potatoes are known for having high levels of beta-carotene, which is converted to an active form of vitamin A(retinol) once ingested. A deficiency of vitamin A can lead to dull and dry skin and accelerated ageing so this is one nutrient you want to be loading up on.
- Coconut Milk: Coconut milk is abundant in fatty acids, proteins and vitamin E, which provides it with exceptional moisturising and repairing properties. It helps to maintain skin elasticity and encourage ultra-smooth and supple skin.
- Turmeric & Ginger: Naturally rich in antioxidants both spices are well known for their respective anti-inflammatory and circulation enhancing benefits. Turmeric can assist in supporting a healthy gut which encourages a radiant complexion. It can also support clear and calm with by blocking histamine release which can cause skin redness and inflammation.
To up the ante on the protein and fibre in the soup you can add 200 grams of blended cannellini beans to the soup, however this is optional as it is delicious and nourishing either way!
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 10cm piece of ginger, cut into three pieces
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised and halved
- 800mls of organic vegetable stock (reduced sodium)
- 2-3 tablespoons of cashew butter
- 400ml can of organic coconut milk
- 200g organic canned cannellini beans, rinsed well (optional)
- Fresh coriander, chopped cashews or pepitas & lime, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Wrap sweet potatoes in foil and place on a baking tray. Roast for about 2 hours or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Whilst the sweet potato is roasting place coconut milk, ginger, turmeric and lemongrass in a heavy saucepan. Bring to the boil, add cashew butter and stir through. Remove from the heat. Pick out the ginger and lemongrass.
- Once you can handle the sweet potato, peel off the skin, it should lift off easily. Cut sweet potato into large chunks and place in a blender. Add half the coconut milk mixture and half the cannellini beans (if using). Once smooth return the sweet potato mix to the coconut broth and stir over low heat until combined.
- Divide between bowls and sprinkle with coriander leaves, a sprinkle of chopped cashews or pepitas and a dash of lime juice.
- Enjoy this warming soup with all its wonderful beauty benefits!
Tip: This recipe makes a large amount of soup, so if you don't eat it all at once it can be kept in the fridge for 3 days or frozen in batches.
Leave a comment