Caramelised Carrot "Beauty Soup" Recipe (with a Tea Base)
For the Tea Stock
- 1 tablespoon of No. 4 Golden Glow Tea or 2 teaspoons licorice root
- 1 clove of cinnamon
- 3 to 4 strands of saffron
(Feel free to use any Tea for this – white tea, lemon grass and ginger make wonderful tea stock options)
For the Soup
- 6 medium carrots roughly chopped
- 2 yellow squashes, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons of coriander, finely chopped
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 – 4 tablespoons kefir (the Coco-Kefir brand is my favourite or make your own)
- Handful of roasted pumpkin seeds
- To make tea stock, steep tea in one cup of boiling water for 20 minutes. Steep and strain.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Place carrots, squash and garlic in a roasting pan with Himalayan salt and a sprinkle of cracked black pepper. Massage a tablespoon of olive oil through the vegetables.
- Place on middle rack and roast, stirring once or twice, for 20 minutes. Stir in ginger, making sure to coat carrots, and roast for another 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice. Carrots will turn a light golden brown, caramelized in spots, and be tender when you pierce them with the point of a sharp knife. Remove from oven. Let sit and cool slightly.
- Place about two tablespoons of pumpkin seeds on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle with Himalayan salt. Roast for about ten minutes or until brown.
- Transfer to a high-powered blender along with tea and two cups of water. Blend on medium-high until super smooth.
- Heat pureed soup over medium-low heat on stove top until barely simmering. Stir in lemon juice. Serve hot, each bowl topped with a dollop of kefir and a sprinkle of coriander.
- Enjoy your beautiful beauty soup.